Sunday, April 3, 2011

Here's to you Christopher

Welcome to day 3. I hope you have been enjoying what has been going on so far. Today is the day I talk about my first love. As a child I had so many crushes but never felt that I loved them. I can say that my first crush was a junior at Alma College name Christopher.

He was just awesome, funny (loved Chewbacca hence the picture) athletic, and ambitious. We met the summer of 1999 and started off as friends. We had great chemistry, conversations and I truly thought that I was in love with him. Our relationship was brief and fraught with tension due to race. He was white and I am clearly not. I knew when I met his parents that it would never be anything more. In addition when issues with race came up in school we fought and I could not stand it anymore. I don't even remember saying goodbye and I regret that now.

He transferred from Alma and I never saw him again. I am not happy with how things ended but I can not change that. He passed away in July 2008 at the age of 30. I look back at our time together and I realize that I was way to immature for the relationship and he was too. I can see that now with new eyes. I can also see that in reality, I was not in love with him. 19 year old Keyta in all of her wisdom about love believed that she was in love which is why Chris has the title of my first love, but after being with someone as great as the guy I am with now, I can say that I truly distinguish what a first love is. So here's to you Caleb Michael, I love you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment