Friday, September 3, 2010

Tears and doubts

So I received some bad news at the clinic yesterday at The Running Spot. The doctor informed me that I should strongly reconsider doing my marathon on the 26th due to an injury. I cried so much when he told me the news. I have been training so hard, but not the proper way. I don't stretch and my shoes are a bit older so that combined with having a previous injury (fractured my foot in 2007) I should not be surprised that I hurt myself.

I am now at a crossroads. Should I run/walk on the 26th and risk hurting myself more or should I bite the bullet and just do one of the races in October. Granted the doctor said that even to run in October would be risky but it would give me more time. Decisions, decisions. I don't wanna hurt myself, but I made myself a challenge and a goal and I can't go back on that.

Last night, I told myself that I will make my final decision by September 18th. That is a week and a day before the race, the day I could pick up the race day registration information and the last day the race will be $40. So in two weeks, I will know. I will take the doctors advice, I will rest for a week, engage in low impact activities, stretch twice a day and ice when needed. Everyone out there, please wish me a speedy recovery and luck. Until I write in you again...

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I work at the Running Spot, good luck in your recovery! You can do it, take great care of your foot in the next few weeks. Ice A LOT! No freaking out because you have a few weeks to make the decision and it sounds like you are well trained already, and a little bit of time off won't hurt you at all this close to the actual race. What race is it?

    There are also LOTS of good races in October, so one other thing to think about is you don't want to hurt yourself even more by pushing through an injury if you can wait for another race in just a few weeks.


    Hope that helps. If you ever want to talk a bout what is going on or need advice or anything like that come on in to one of the stores!

    -Just a friendly annonymous helper in Glendale

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your words Chuck, I appreciate it. I am considering the Cincinnati 1/2 in October because the pain in my leg and ankle is bothering me a great dealeven though I am resting. But, in answer to your question, I wanted to originally do the Oxford State to State 1/2 but since it is not flat maybe it is not the one for me at this point. Thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete