Thursday, April 29, 2010

Some yummy creations

So I have made 2 of the 16 meals and I am so excited about it. In recap one of my 30 things is to make 2 new meals a month just to improve my culinary skills and to broaden my food horizon. Here are the two new meals I prepared and they both received 2 big thumbs up.



Wilted Spinach Salad with Candied Pepper Bacon
  • 4 slices thick-cut bacon
  • 1 tbsp packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1 package of fresh baby spinach
  • 1 medium Granny Smith apple, cored & sliced into thin wedges
  • 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion wedges
  • 2 hard cooked eggs

For the home made dressing

  • 1 tsp reserved drippings from bacon
  • 2 tsp brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 2 tsp Dijon mustard (I used Honey Dijon Mustard)

All you have to do is put the bacon in a pan, spread it out, sprinkle pepper evenly and then add the brown sugar. Cook in the microwave for 3-5 minutes or you can put it in the oven. Once done, cut the bacon into pieces, add to spinach, cut the hard boiled egg, add onion & the slices of apple. For the dressing, add all ingredients from above and microwave on HIGH for 2 minutes or until bubbly (for me it took less than 45 sec). Mix dressing with salad and ENJOY!!! I tell you, it was so delish.

The next recipe made was from http://www.allrecipes.com/ called

Spaghetti a la Philly
1 pound of lean ground beef or turkey
1 package of spinach
4 oz of Philly cream cheese
24 oz of spaghetti sauce
1/2 onion
1 tsp Parmesan cheese
seasoning (optional)


Cook spaghetti as directed on the box, cook ground beef/turkey until brown. Drain fat and place in bowl. In pan cook spaghetti sauce and Philly cream cheese until well blended (can take anywhere from 5-10 mins) and with another pan sauceed spinach and onion. On plate add spaghetti, ground beef, seasoning, spinach, onion and add the awesome creamy sauce and top with Parmesan cheese. I tell you, it was yummy. I do not think the picture quite captured it, but my belly loved me for days.

So if your bored, or curious try out these two new recipes. I am even thinking that I will make more than 2 new meals a month, I am loving cooking. Until next time.....




1 comment:

  1. Look at you, using pictures & fun formatting! Good work! :)

    ReplyDelete